Saturday, January 15, 2011

My One and Only Childhood Friend





I have kinda sat on wanting to write this blog for almost a week now till I had my girlfriend Shirley's permission to share with you the letter I recently received from her that really TOUCHED my heart. Shirley is the only childhood friend from my past. What makes our friendship so special is when we had lost contact on a few occasions throughout our life, Shirley never gave up her search till she was able to locate me.

The one time of this happening that really stands out is how she pushed against all odds that took several years to accomplish. She knew my moms first and last name but when she tried to find her number it was unlisted. She kept trying to get the operator to override that numerous times to no avail. She never gave up! This one time she decided to tell the operator that it was an EMERGENCY to try and contact my mom. She asked the woman to PLEASE have her call since she had access to the unlisted number. This time it worked! :) My mom called her and gave Shirley the number where I could be reached. I happened to be living in North Carolina with my ex-husband when I got that SURPRISE call.

She is the only one who when looking back was a bright and pleasant time in my painful past. The only fond memories were of those times we spent together which was about two years when I was in 7th and 8th grade. I remember how hard it was to say goodbye when my dad who was in the Navy got his orders for Germany. We made a PROMISE to contact each other when I got back to the states which we both kept. Then we had to say goodbye again when she told me she was moving to Florida with her mom. It was at that time that the Lord had come in my life and I told her about it. She was a bit surprised and smiled hoping everything would work out for the best as I did for her too. I told her I would be praying for her and that she needed to give Jesus a chance in her life.

Now lets go back to that surprise phone call from Shirley when I was living in North Carolina. What she told me on the phone was the fact that she had given her life to the Lord. That not only made her my very closest friend but a sister in Christ! WOOO HOOOO! What a HAPPY DAY, TEARFUL, and joyful moment that was! Now onto the letter. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Linda,

I think the necklace is so beautiful. Especially in the way it represents a life long friendship and bond. Those kind of friendships are rare. I have few fond memories of my childhood as you know, but by far and what made me laugh, happy, and have some great memories was the times we spent together. We would always talk about funny stuff, walk the neighborhood, and when there was absolutely nothing to do, we would think of something. Singing, hiking, joking or just plain acting goofy.

You have always had a great heart and to some, as being women and so called, "the weaker species" have had people trample on it. But you and I know you are a survivor and a fighter, just like me. Maybe in different forms, but just the same I feel our lives, family, etc were somewhat alike. Oh, and I know if anyone wanted to mess with us in those days, we were ready to kick some butt! HAHA...

I love you so much. Thanks for the beautiful and gorgeous necklace. What I sent back is all I have to give that I felt was most fitting from my heart and it is a token you can also remember me by. (The necklace she sent is the picture you see on top)

God bless you and your family,

Love,

Shirley


Father, not only do I THANK YOU for my most precious life long friend, but those SPECIAL and long lasting friends and spiritual family who are and will always be a part of my life. I LOVE YOU ALL DEARLY!

Linda @->--

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that letter Linda. It really touched my heart deeply; especially today after writing a somewhat difficult blog regarding my childhood. I am so VERY blessed that I God crossed our paths. I feel like I've known you forever. I was just laying bed listening to the IPOD and "Daughter You Are"...couldn't stop crying. Healing! Came on out and hopped on the laptop only to find your blog was up! Love you, Netty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Netty, I feel the same way about you. This is the first time in my whole life where I can say I have the most quality friends and especially spiritual family ever in my life right now.

    Its not only an answer to prayer, but a very deep desire to connect with His real family that I have sung about in some of the songs Spirit has given me through the years.

    Even though we are coming onto the most horrific times ever in history, I would say it has also been the most affirming and a true sense of home away from home with those Abba has etched deep in my heart and soul.

    I love you, Netty!

    Linda @->--

    ReplyDelete

If you desire to leave a comment on any of the blogs you read, then do so with decency, honesty and respect. All comments will need to be approved, before they are posted.

Thank you : ) Linda Rose ~ Spiritsong


~ CLICK ON LOGO ~